Saturday, January 22, 2011

Doula = more successful births?

When I was pregnant, a woman from my church called and offered to be our doula for FREE. I turned her down because I thought that doula's were only for women who wanted to have a natural birth (SO not true) and I thought it would be weird to have someone I knew in the room with me (looking back I wouldn't have cared and I ended up knowing my nurse that was there!). I didn't understand what a doula did or why I would need to have one. Currently doulas attend 3% of births in the United States and 1 out of every 3 births results in a C-Section. Here are some stats I wish I would've known before birth!

Numerous clinical studies have proven that when a laboring mother has a doula by her side:
  • tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
  • reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
  • reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
  • reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
(From the DONA website)

Stats were taken from Childbirth.org. Having a doula present results in:


  • 50% reduction in the cesarean rate
  • 25% shorter labor
  • 60% reduction in epidural requests
  • 40% reduction in oxytocin use
  • 30% reduction in analgesia use
  • 40% reduction in forceps delivery




No comments:

Post a Comment